Located in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, Verger Capital Management LLC is an outsourced Chief Investment Officer (OCIO) firm dedicated to providing investment management services to non-profit institutions. Through our advisory services, we seek to serve institutions in their philanthropic endeavors, whether that means the ability to award scholarships to students, provide grants for research, or offer valuable services to their respective communities.
Founded in 2014, Verger was formed from the Wake Forest University Office of Investments to manage the University’s endowment, as well as other endowment and foundation clients. We have grown to $2.5 billion in assets under management and are looking to expand our team of professionals.
Since inception, Verger has been committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages diversity of thought and respect for the needs of our clients and community. Our team is comprised of experienced and dedicated individuals who are driven by the opportunity to grow and shape the future of the firm. Our mission is to “invest in the lives of others” and we do that through hard work and a sense of community among our team and our clients. In addition to a strong culture, Verger also offers its employees competitive compensation plans, generous PTO and work-life harmony, medical/dental/retirement, professional development and educational opportunities, and the opportunity to earn equity interest in the firm.
Verger is seeking an investment professional to play a significant role in all aspects of the investment process for the firm. This position will report to the Co-CIO, and will contribute to asset allocation and portfolio construction, as well as take a leading role in the due diligence of both current and prospective investment managers. While this professional will be a generalist and will work collaboratively across all asset classes, a significant amount of time will be focused on public investments (such as long-only equity, fixed income, hedge funds, and public real assets). This role will also support client relations through external engagement with current and prospective clients.
- Sources, evaluates, and performs due diligence on new managers consistent with portfolio objectives through prior relationships, industry contacts, database analysis, and direct contact with investment managers; independently conducts extensive research and due diligence on a variety of managers and investment strategies and prepares manager evaluation memos for review by the entire team.
- Aggregates output from research, prioritizing information flow and synthesizing into implementable investment ideas. Recommends additions and deletions to the manager roster in order to improve portfolio risk adjusted returns consistent with the objectives as identified by the Investment team.
- Monitors existing manager relationships across the entire portfolio, which includes reviewing reports, participating in update calls, and attending in-person meetings. Actively participates in decision-making, while performing regular, on-going monitoring and reporting of portfolio, including performance measurement, analysis and summary of portfolio exposures and risk factors, to support decisions.
- Drafts various portfolio, market, and investment commentaries for client reporting, marketing, RFPs, and board meetings that effectively communicate the firm’s investment strategy and emerging industry and competitive trends; represents the firm at investment conferences and manager meetings and serves on boards or advisory committees of investment funds when appropriate.
- Contributes to the management of custom client accounts, which are primarily liquid portfolios comprised of mutual funds and exchange-traded funds; recommends changes to improve risk adjusted returns and serves as a backup trader for these portfolios.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of investment principles and strategies, including hedge funds and public and private investment strategies; demonstrated knowledge of all investment asset classes and portfolio management strategies and theories.
- Proven track record with demonstrated experience with sourcing, evaluating, negotiating and diligencing investment managers, with a focus on public strategies including hedge funds; ability to identify, recommend and implement new investment initiatives that will promote the objectives of the fund.
- Ability to summarize complex investment data to support portfolio decision making at the portfolio and investment manager levels; a clear and compelling presentation style and demonstrated success in managing internal and external relationships; ability to travel, speak on behalf of the firm, and represent the firm at industry forums, client and prospect meetings, and board meetings.
- Self-motivated with exceptional skills in prioritizing workflow, managing resources, organization, and time management; positive attitude and willingness to take on new challenges.
- High level of integrity, a proactive entrepreneurial mindset, and the ability to work in a dynamic team environment.
- Experience in institutional asset management, preferably with a focus on OCIO, university endowment, pension fund, foundation, trust department, or consulting firm.
- CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) designation and high proficiency in analytical software, Bloomberg, and Client Management Systems preferred.
- Strong preference will be given to candidates willing to reside in the Winston-Salem area.
Verger is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We value our employees for their unique talents and abilities and embrace and encourage our employee’s differences in backgrounds, experiences, race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, family or marital status, physical, mental and/or intellectual abilities, age, military or veteran status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, political affiliation, and socio-economic status. All employees are valued for their individual differences and the unique contributions that help us achieve our business goals.